My flight back to England is booked for Thursday 15th June. We are still in Bermuda. Deep depressions are rolling from South Carolina up the American coast to Canada suggesting 40 knot winds and high waves. We don’t fancy that very much. I like my tea in a cup not on the floor.
It’s about 600 miles to the American coast. Will we get a weather window to dash north so I can get my flight? Will I end up having to fly from Bermuda to JFK in New York leaving Dave here to work out how to get the boat north? Anyone fancy a few days watching the America’s Cup in Bermuda then a passage to Maine and maybe some climbing when you get there? I’m serious….all you sailors out there. Drop us a line.
If you’re following the America’s Cup you’ll know the New Zealand boat pitch poled in high winds yesterday. We saw it happen. The racing until that point had been fast, oh so fast and on the edge. The Brits have been struggling and we weren’t holding out much hope for them. We are still wearing our recently purchased t shirts proudly around town (they have been washed) and have been asked several times what our role is in the team. People seem disappointed when we say, supporters.
High winds certainly brough high drama. No racing today because of those strong winds. They are due to drop and the depression is due to roll north, but it’s all a question of timing.
The photos are of a walk we did along a disused railway line to a lighthouse which is still in operation today. It’s the highest point in Bermuda and affords stunning views across the Great Sound where the racing is taking place. We chose to return along the beach where there were gangs of Portuguese Men of War jellyfish being washed up on the sand. A local said they tour in June then disappear to their next venue. We’d planned to swim but no thanks, no one fancied being stung by one of those babies.